Monday, April 6, 2009

Data Collection?

Monday, April 6, 2009

I am already done with my data collection. I had asked about 300 people what city and state they are from. I got people from around the United States. There were people from New York, Florida, California, Illinois, and many more. There were people even from other countries such as Romania, Singapore, Germany, Japan, and Korea. I have lots of fun while collecting my data. I get to learn a little bit more about my customers and their cultures. The next thing I needed to do is analyze my data. I have found a good website to help me in this process. Here is the link http://home.ubalt.edu/ntsbarsh/stat-data/Topics.htm#rrtopic. This website gave me all sort of information I need to analyze my data. It gave me information on things such as the Central Limit Theorem, which is basically a theorem that states that if a random sample has a size of more than 30 samples then the distribution if this data set approximately follows the Normal distribution. This website also talked about removing outliers because outliers can greatly affect the distribution of a data set. This website also talks about the significant and confidence test and what it is used for. There is also a very interesting section in this website called Kind of Lies: Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics. When I started taking AP Statistics, we have to read a book called How to Lie with Statistics by Darrell Huff. It was a very interesting book and it taught me how to look at statistical facts more closely than I did before. Well this website gave examples of “statistical lies” and it helped remind me that I should not do this in my data analysis. I am planning to do a box plot, a histogram, and a one-sample T test. I am also planning to give the five-number summary, the outliers, the mean, and the standard deviation of my data. I hope that my data analysis will helped people be able to understand my data more.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like your data is going to come out really good because your sample consists of individuals from literally every part of the U.S.

    Some of your post is very much similar to your data analysis toolbox, and it seems repeititive.

    Also, I was wondering if you got mainly individuals from New Orleans, or from out of state. Did you try to block against these New Orleans individuals, because they would most likely greatly impact your data?

    ReplyDelete

 
Mai's Blog ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates